Wednesday, May 14, 2003

Here is the article from hobbsnews.com:

Strong finish for Matthews

ALAMOGORDO -- After opening the first five holes of his second round at 6-over-par, William Matthews made a decision.

"I told myself there was no way I was going to end my high school career like this," Matthews said, after going 2-under the rest of the day and finishing the 5A State Golf Championships in a tie for 10th individually with a final-round 76.

The La Cueva Bears (582) wrapped-up their fourth-straight team state championship with an even-par, 292, and Zach Fullerton shot a 1-under, 70 to claim individual medalist honors. Las Cruces (608) and Clovis (613) were second and third respectively as a team.

Hobbs (334) finished in eighth place with an overall 658.

"This was a tough field," said Hobbs coach Clay Faulkenberry. "The guys kind of had a rough day, but I'm really pleased with the way we finished."

Matthews had two birdies on the back nine, and shot 34 to finish with 76.

"I made pars on six and seven, then it just all came together," Matthews said. "I hit a lot of greens on the back, which was the difference. The bottom line is, I hit shots after the fifth -- I guess I woke up."

Jordan Boerio, Stephen Kuitu and William Jourdan each shot 86 in the second round, and Josh Latimer carded an 89.

After a lackluster day as far as the team was concerned, Faulkenberry said he was happy to see Matthews' turnaround.

"Like I said (Monday), Will's a gutsy kid," Faulkenberry said. "He got it into his head that he wasn't going to end his career like that, and he didn't. That's William Matthews -- when he has to turn it up, he can and he does.

"He showed a lot of pride and a lot of guts -- you can't ask for a better example for a senior at the state tournament. You salute the effort, you admire the pride and you wish you had him for five more years."

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive