Friday, July 29, 2005

So it's Friday. This is my last non-working Friday for sometime. You see, Monday is my first day of work...of course it is about 10 days of training before the kids actually start...but it still means that I have to be up in single digit hours!

Yesterday I had to have some stuff signed by my principal and while there, I picked up my keys to the building and my classroom. Holy Cow. Walking into that room will seriously go down as one of my scariest moments ever. I was instantly overwhelmed with the responsibility of providing skills to these kids that will impact them for the rest of their lives. That is so incredibly cool, but it's also a rather large amount of pressure...not really much room for failure. Yeah, to me it is practice...but if one of my second graders does not master a technique or skill that I am responsible for teaching...it could put them behind for a long time.

Second grade also hits really close to home with me. I had a terrible second grade teacher that didn't really require me to learn to spell/phonics/etc and I can honestly say that I still feel the effects today, as I am a terrible speller! I know that has to do mostly with my learning disability, but it didn't help that she didn't require much out of me and still gave me A's!

I plan to spend the weekend psyching myself up...and one way I'm going to do that is to spend the weekend decorating my room and getting really familiar with it...because you gotta start somewhere! One extra neat thing is that they told me that they don't require, but do prefer me to PAINT the room a nice color or two. In all my spare time, of course. But my dear friend Sheri has volunteered to help me on Saturday to get the room coated in a nice shade of pale green or sky blue. The school also gave me $100 to "Teacher's Tools," a store in Lewisville, to go get some decorating stuff. I'm about to go there now. So anyone that reads this and has even a few spare hours tomorrow...PLEASE come help me make my room appropriate for 8, 9, and 10 year olds! I'm so serious...Wendy, Andra, Moe, Martha, Jamey...anyone. I will be greatly indepted to you if you would come help me!

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive