Sunday, November 02, 2003

I volunteer with the Corinth Civic League and last week I signed up to work at the city halloween carnival. Somehow I ended up being the photographer at the JUNIOR HIGH DANCE. I have to say, before this experience there was very little doubt in my mind that I was at least semi-ly cool. I listen to popular music, watch MTV, stay kind of on top of trends, etc.

I new 3 damn songs the whole night: the chicken dance, the macarena, and the YMCA. What the hell? I also could tell by the way they addressed me and stopped misbehaving when they realized I was watching...that I must look old. I was also a tad horrified at the dancing. I know, I know, that is exactly what my dad said upon my first jr. high dance...he was referring the what we called "freaking." I was horrified by lots and lots of pelvic thrusts over and over and over AND groups of BOYS dancing alone, even slow type dancing AND all kinds of middriffs showin'. What happened to the dress code?

I was also amazed at my ability to just look around the room and in the brief 2 hour time span know pretty much how most of the kids would turn out. Like who would live in government housing, who would have 4 different STD's & 6 kids w/ 6 baby daddies, who would be the drunks, future mental patients (I saw LOTS of those!), as well as, future politicians, teachers, computer gurus, etc. I never believed my mom when she would say she could "just tell" about someone and that would be the reason I couldn't hang out with them...and she's been right about them all...and now I know how she did it.

In other news, I gave two weeks notice to my job from hell. I can say that I gave it my best shot but that I definitely majored in the wrong thing in college and that I will never again work at any job that requires me to take a self-defense class before starting. I have learned SO much about myself and about people and about the world. I know that's a lot of learnin' in just four short months, but state run mental health clinics are a whole world outside of anything that the general population can even fathom. Sooo, I have applied for several jobs OUTSIDE of the mental health arena and am crossing my fingers that I get one soon.

I bought a Christmas present today for someone. Can yall believe it's already that time? Target had Christmas music playing! That was weird as I was sifting through the halloween stuff (I needed some socks for next year).

Off to watch a movie. I <3 Netflicks.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive