Monday, October 14, 2002

I got up at 5:30 a.m. to cook Vic breakfast. You see, his normal work schedule is 7p-7a Fri and Sat and Sun 3-11. By Sunday night he is ready to be at home...that's a lot of hours real quick-like! So because I'm lacking in the job department, he picks up all the extra shifts he can...and this week there was a Sun 11p to 7a open. He took it. He went in for 16 hours straight. And think about an ER on a Sunday night…tons of people trying to get out of work the next day! He's like a little worker ant...amazing. So I thought that I would try out this new wifedom and get up and cook.

Yesterday I broke out the cookbooks and found a recipe for egg & sausage casserole that sounded tasteee and one for French toast. I went to the store and bought all lacking ingredients. Last night I cleaned the kitchen and got everything out and ready to go for my early morning attempt. I also did a few things like "cube" 3 slices of bread for the casserole...anything to save a little time!

By the time I finally went to bed, it was 3 am. And I was so anxious that I would over sleep or not hear my alarm, that I never *really* went to sleep. I had set the alarm for 5:55 (it would have been 5:45, but I had already cubed the bread!) but at 5:30 I threw in the towel and headed "my place." Hee hee. Snort.

I made the casserole first; it had to bake for 40 minutes. It was pretty easy...just browning the meat, beatin the eggs...no biggy. Then came the frickin' toast. My first dilemma came when the list of ingredients included 1/4 a cup of sugar, but then in the instructions the sugar was never added. I freaked. What to do? Call B&K!!! So I called H-town at 6:30 a.m. TX time...in that moment of panic I forgot the time difference. I only lived there 18 years. SO Bob was up, but Kay is the one I really needed. She was thrilled. But we talked it though and decided that I should cross reference other French toast recipes to see if they added sugar to the batter or if the one I was using possibly meant *powered* sugar for a garnish when it listed it in the ingredients. The two others I looked up did indeed include sugar, Mom and I were both relieved!

Next it says to soak the slice of bread for 2 minutes and then put it in the pan. My big question is HOW IN THE HELL IS ONE SUPPOSED TO TRANSFER SOGGY ASS BREAD?! Even my biggest spatula couldn't tackle this job. SO my first piece looked more like a charred ball of mashed potatoes. I would have never thought bread expanded that much!!

That's when Vic arrived. He was thrilled, but he couldn't stop giggling about HIS first piece of toast. The next one got a little better. By the third and final piece, I was a pro. It was perfect. I think it had to do with the butter/oil mixture had all been absorbed by the first 2 attempts...but in any case, third time was a charm. It is, however, a good thing that egg soaked fried bread repulses me, because there wasn't enough for both of us.

The casserole was divine. I impressed both of us :). So we ate, watched a little news, and hit the hay around 8. I've been up since 1...but I could use another nap. I get to wake him up at 4 though, so I am going to try to resist and maybe sleep normal hours tonight.

My wife attempt was overall a success. I do have a tip though. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT attempt to make French toast in the nude. The grease splatters even more than sausage. Ouch.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive