Monday, March 08, 2004

The FAT!SO? Manifesto: #7

"Large, big-boned, heavy, overweight, chubby, zaftig, voluptuous, Rubenesque, plump, and obese are all synonyms for fear." -Marilyn Wann

This is one of those things that I read and just sat nodding my head in agreeance. Our society is so afraid of not fitting in (no pun intended) that we can't even say the nice, simple, adjective FAT. Fat's synonym is not ugly or bad or lazy or stupid. It's the opposite of lean and thin. If Vic said to me "Wow, Amanda, that dress is really pretty...it makes you look so FAT!" I would be flattered! I wouldn't think anything at all was wrong with that statement. But can you only imagine what 99% of women would do if their husbands said that?! It's a shame. It really is only a word, and not even a 4 letter one!

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive