Tuesday, March 16, 2004

So yesterday morning, the Dr was talking to us explaining that he would have to do a complete set of pics of both sets of arteries in the brain due to us not knowing 100% for sure that it's an AVM or a dual fistula...the main difference is the set of arteries that feed it....so it was going to be closer to 1.5 to 2 hrs rather than 1-2 hours. So Vic was wheeled away and I went to the waiting room. 40 minutes later the Dr. came around the corner smiling from ear to ear and said "I shot dye into every spot possible and there is nothing wrong with anything...at all. The last gamma knife (radiation laser) surgery must have worked because that is a completely unremarkable set of pictures...if I didn't know his history, I would say it was a completely healthy vascular system. " All I could say was "Are you talking to me???" He was. I asked why they didn't notice this in the January MRI and he said that his vein of galen is enlarged due to the previous malformation so that's what the MRI saw...but the malformation is gone and the enlarged vein is harmless.

Wow. All I could do was laugh and cry. I called my mom and she cried too. I called his mom (grrr) and she cried. Next his dad, and yes, he cried. Twenty years since this began, and it's finally gone. And he's not gone. I hadn't even toyed with the idea of this being the outcome. In my head, the best outcome was for the next embolization attempt to be successful so that he didn't have to do the open-head brain surgery.

This is completely amazing. It's a miracle. I have been praying for this since I met Vic 4 years ago and have always felt it was a race against the clock to fix it before it ruptured and killed him.

He said on the way home from the hospital that he feels like "my death sentence has been over turned." He also decided to not get completely excited until we see the other Dr. on March 30th. But I am just going to enjoy the idea of him being healthy.

He does, however, still have a giant cyst on the outside of his brain that he will eventually have fixed. But it's not life threatening so it will wait.

It was honestly one of the best days of my life.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive