Wednesday, August 04, 2004

CNN.com - Fat activists protest diet industry - Aug 2, 2004

Well, blow me over. A MAJOR news source is publishing an article that is actually showing both sides of the fence AND quoting knowledgeable people!!! That is so exciting. I think it's just made my day. Here is my favorite part:

"Most fat-acceptance activists endorse the concept of eating healthy food and exercising regularly, but they oppose any fixation on losing weight and contend that more than 95 percent of diets fail. They also decry the rapid growth of stomach-shrinking surgery; the number of such procedures has quadrupled to 100,000 annually since 1998.

Wann depicts bariatric surgery as "stomach amputation" that imposes anorexia on patients and exposes them to long-term risks. Kelly Bliss, a self-described "full-figured fitness instructor" from Lansdowne, Pennsylvania, predicts that future generations will disapprovingly look back on stomach surgery as "comparable to lobotomies."

Bliss, who coaches clients by phone and in fitness classes, subscribes to a philosophy called "health at every size" -- preaching that health, fitness and self-esteem can be achieved independent of weight."

Just in case anyone is interested, here are the websites of Marilyn Wann, Welcome to the Fabulous World of FAT!SO? On-line, and Kelly Bliss, Healthy Living with Bliss.

Marilyn Wann's book was one of the first ones I read on size acceptance and it was truly "flabulous." She encouraged me to die my hair hot pink...ha ha. Remember that Misti???

(look at me, two posts in like 12 hours!!! BTW, how come me and Andra are the only ones who've posted in the WHOLE month of August??? Get busy girls and Adams!)

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive