Monday, May 10, 2004

Did you know…
About 25 percent of the total ground area of Los Angeles (455 square miles) is said to be committed to usage by automobiles.

That's a lot. Anyway, just thought I'd share.

Today I went to put in an application with the county to work in the WIC office. It's to do intakes and "health and nutrition counseling." Um, I don't know if someone forgot to tell them...but those people SO don't want their counseling...they want their free shit and to get back on the bus. Anywho, I'm sure I won't get it. But I'll just keep applying until my frickin' hand falls off from filling about applications.

THEN, we went to meet Mandy and Shelly for dinner. We were supposed to meet at Big Bowl (chinese place owned by Brinker, Int....they own Chili's, OTB, Macaroni Grill, etc.) which I just ate at about 1 week ago with Sheri. It went out of business. At first we pulled up and I go "oh, they took down the giant bowl that used to be on the roof" and then we realized there were no cars. So we were there like 30 minutes early and we both forgot our cell phones. SO we went to the nearest convenience store. I walked in, looked all around, and finally asked the man at the counter where the pay phone was. He responded "Eveebody have cell phone, we no have pay phone." Yeah, not very convenient. So we go on to the next Exxon station/store. I went up to the phone out BEHIND the store and it wouldn't take my coins. So on to the next Racetrack store where there are TWO phones right next to each other. The first one didn't have a dial tone and the second one required 50 damn cents to make a local call and it let it ring once before it clicked and wouldn't give my money back. I threw the phone. I was so pissed. SO I hoped in the car and demanded that we just go to a restaurant and I would call Mandy from there. We went to Carino's. We requested a table for 4 and I went straight back to the door labeled "Restrooms/Telephone." There was NO PHONE. Not anywhere and I even went all the way into the bathroom. So I stomped up to the counter and pretty much demanded to use the phone. So I called Mandy and left a message. About 5 minutes later I was sitting at the table and I heard this waiter dude saying "Anyone know Mandy Goff?" to the other employees. I jumped up and said "I DO!" He had already gotten off the phone with her. But she called back and they came and found me. So they made it. But neither Vic or I had eaten all day, I was in dressy HOT clothes and I was bitchy. But what the hell do people do that don't have cell phones?

I know Misti has talked about how they don't have them. But they live in Midland. We were 30 minutes from home. It was rush hour. There was no way we could get anywhere. I understand why people in small towns don't have them, but there are a million other things like cable TV and a land line that I would get rid of before I got rid of my cell phone. Vic said that people that don't have cell phones know where pay phones are, but I don't think that is really possible here. Anyway, I'm thankful for my sweet little Sprint phone with the panda marching along. We did have a nice dinner though. And I ordered something labeled "NEW" on the menu and it was so good...baked cheese tortellini.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive