Tuesday, June 08, 2004

The New York Times > Health > I Beg to Differ: The Fat Epidemic: He Says It's an Illusion:

This is a nice article. Pretty middle of the road, if you ask me. Just stating the facts. I do have to comment on this:

"Everyone notices that there are more overweight people now."

The bigger issue is WHY people notice fat people more...because the media bombards us with grossly thin people (think: Lara Flynn Boyle). We get used to seeing those people so then when we see a normal person (think: Sara Rue) we call her "fat." When in all actuality she is normal. We have also become so obsessed with thin that we notice those that aren't.

Anyway, I'm off to Hobbs. Probably the last time I'll ever be at my parents house there because as of August they will live in Andrews. I think they think that I will come visit as often as I always have. Well, that is just not true. I have to say that I spent about the first 20 years of my life avoiding Andrews and that's probably not going to change significantly. I mean, I'm sure I will go...but not like I do now. I'll still go to Hobbs, stay with the grandparents, stop by the parents house on the way to and from. It's also going to be an especially sad trip because this is the first time I'll be there since Rowdy died. It's going to be strange.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive